Saturday, December 5, 2015

The True Meaning of Christmas (and a quick update)

I know that I haven't written a post on here in what seems to be a million years, and, well, I don't exactly have a great excuse. I could tell you that I was abducted by aliens and spent almost 6 months devising an escape plan and that I just now got home. I could also tell you that I was kidnapped or that I   was in some sort of cool undercover murder mystery case of which I had to help out with, impairing me from writing on my blog for such a long time. Or, I could just tell you the truth and say that I simply have been so busy with school, cross country, and friends that I've just been very neglecting of my blog and almost forgot about it as a whole. Yeah... maybe being abducted by aliens isn't such a lame-sounding excuse now that I think of it.

Anyways, I'm glad to be back!

I will tell you, though, that I am not going to update you on every little aspect of my life since June in one single post, because, if I did, I don't think that I would have anything to write about for my future posts next month or even next year due to the fact that I would still be writing this very post... and then, when I finally would finish this post, the only thing I'd have to post about is how I spent months of my life writing a post about even more months of my life... and, we wouldn't want that now, would we?
(Psssst! The answer is no...no we would not)

My cross country season flew by extremely fast. This year was alright, although I didn't achieve the times or goals that I necessarily wanted to. However, I'm actually going to do winter training this year, so, hopefully track season will be successful!

I hate to be such a disappointment, but, honestly, lately I've just been focusing on school so I don't have a ton to talk about, but, I'll try my best to enlighten you with my amazingly interesting (not) teenage life.

Well, to start off, as far as school goes, the main thoughts that run through my head all day go something like this:

  • I'm. So. Tired.
  • Why
  • Oh great! I'll add that assignment to my never-ending list of stuff that's due this week. Hopefully I'll remember to do it.
  • Dear Brain, stop thinking about what treats your going to make for Christmas Break, and start focusing!
  • Hmmm... weird that when I open a pack of gum everyone, including those that I've never talked to before, are suddenly my best friend...
  • So...If I have 4 oranges and 5 apples, and I give 2 pennies to my friend and one of the apples to my dad, I'll be left with 4 avocados?
  • When does this class end again?
So that's my average school day! But, just to clarify, I do really enjoy being at school and I know that I am very fortunate to be able to go to the school that I do and learn at the level of education that I am learning. School has definitely been very stressful, though. It's junior year, which means next year is the time to start applying to colleges... which basically leads to my future... so, basically junior year (in my mind, at least) determines my future. It's really crazy to think that I'm a junior in high school right now, and I'm only a little less than two years away from going off to college. I remember my first day of first grade really clearly. I know that sounds crazy, but I swear I remember it. I remember how it was the first time that I ever had sat at my own desk. I sat right in front of the room, and I looked around the room, noticing how much different it was from kindergarten. I seriously felt like such a big kid. The one thought that I remember so clearly is, I thought to myself, "Wow... I'm already in first grade? Time is going to fly by so fast... before I know it, I'll be in 6th grade!" (6th grade was "cool" to me because my elementary went from K-6, and the 6th graders seemed so big and so cool) 

Here I am, about to start studying for my finals which are about a week and a half away. Crazy.

On another note, it's almost Christmas time! I'm SO excited to celebrate with my friends and family. This past year has been really crazy and the period between my sophomore year and junior year has really changed my life. I've become really close with my group of friends (we aren't a "group" don't worry-- we aren't exclusive! I just call it a group because its a general bunch of people) and they are some of the most amazing people someone could ever get to know.

Before I met these people, I really was not close with God. I mean, I thought about God sometimes, and I prayed almost every night before I went to bed, but I never really knew what a true connection with God felt like. When I would pray, it would pretty much go like this:
Lear Lord, if you are even there... I mean, I think you're real... but, I'm not quite sure. But, if you are there, and if you are listening, I just wanted to say thank you for all that you have given me. I'd like to pray for my friends and family everywhere. Thank you for this life and giving me food and a good home. Amen.
Like... no, Maddie... just, no, that's not exactly how it works.

I wasn't close to God. I had no idea how close someone could actually be to God until I met my friends that I have now. These amazing human beings took me under their wing and showed me just how important God is. I'm baptized Catholic but I didn't have much church experience before I became friends with these guys. Katie and Brian invited me to youth group at one of our local churches, and ever since that first youth group I attended, I was hooked. The Youth Minister at my church is the best one I could ever have asked for. He is one of the kindest people you could meet. His name is Sean, and he's just like one of the kids. He's hilarious, and has a great sense of humor, but he uses it in the most amazing way: to bring kids closer to God. He talks about God in the best ways, and he makes it fun for kids and teens my age to want to grow closer to God.

So, this Christmas season, I guess I would say that I'm extra excited for Christmas. Every year that I celebrate Christmas, I've always known that it was Jesus' birthday, but that's about it. I tried to always keep that in mind, but, once the present-unwrapping came around, the gifts were all I could think about. I know that sounds bad, but at the time, I really didn't know how to incorporate Jesus into it. This year... though I'm definitely not an expert at it, I feel better about my knowledge of what the true meaning of Christmas is. This year, while the presents are exciting, I have been looking forward to waking up in the morning and getting ready and going to Christmas Mass with my family. I'm looking forward to reading Christmas stories and Bible verses and celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. He is the reason that I am here. He has saved not only me, but so many others, and this year, I am thankful that I have grown over this past year to understand how important he is.

I have so much more growing in my faith to do, but I feel like I'm at least starting to understand how important faith is, and how important this holiday is. I am by no means an expert in theology or anything like that, I honestly just know the basics right now about Christmas. However, I'm excited to continue to grow in my faith.

This Christmas season, I encourage everyone to try to please take a little extra time to take a break from focusing on the presents and the holiday chaos and focus on the true reason for this holiday season.
I understand how easy it is to get sidetracked, and to lose the true meaning of this season. I 100% admit that I am guilty to this, too. I'm going to sound like a hypocrite for writing this because I too have been so caught up in when and where and how to get presents for people and making my own Christmas list, that I haven't taken time to reflect on the most important part.

I want to make it clear that presents are not bad... I might've come off that way, but they aren't! Just try to remind yourself and those around you about the true meaning of Christmas.
Not only is Christmas about celebrating the Birth of Jesus, but, it's about acting like him, too. This Christmas season, spread love to all of those around you. Do something nice for others, especially someone that you don't know. Try to help those in need, if you are able to. It breaks my heart thinking about all the homeless kids that wont be able to celebrate Christmas to the fullest this year, and their families that wish they could, but they just don't have the resources to do so right now. (Yes, everyone can celebrate Christmas-- anywhere. The presents are a necessity) I know that I'm kind of contradicting myself saying that presents are necessary to celebrate Christmas, but, giving gifts this time of year to those in need is an act of love. Love is something that is very important this season, and it shows people that you care. It gives them hope. It is an act of Christ, and my goal, personally, is to share Jesus' love with everyone.

So... I hope you like challenges, because I'm going to leave you with a few challenges to think about. I Hope that you will take on at least a couple of these, and take them to heart. I am going attempt to do these exact same challenges. Together, I know that if we at least try to keep the following list in mind, we can change the world more than you know. These actions below will show a great example to all of those around you, and hopefully influence others to do the same. I think this world could use a little more love and hope, especially with all of the violence going on. Lets make a change. Are you in?

Here are our challenges:

  • Challenge #1: To talk more about faith, God, and Christ. Talk more about the real reason for the upcoming holiday with your friends and family. Try to keep this a constant idea throughout the whole time of year... it could bring people closer together, and it's important to know why we celebrate Christmas in the first place. 
  • Challenge #2: Give back. This can be as easy as delivering Christmas treats to a neighbor you've never met before, or volunteering at a local shelter or food bank. You can donate gifts to families in need this season, who can't afford to get their children gifts this season. There are many opportunities to make someone's holiday this year a little bit brighter, and it gives people hope and the feeling that they are loved. 
  • Challenge #3: Express your appreciation. Send hand-written notes/cards to family and friends who you aren't able to be with this season. Show how much you appreciate them. It'll mean more than you think.
  • Challenge #4: Kiss and make up! If there is a grudge or coldness between you and a friend or family member, this is a good time to make things good again. This is a terrible thing to imagine, but, imagine if that person was to die today. What do you wish you could've said? It's not worth being stubborn and holding a grudge over a fight. Even if the person offended you or hurt  you, and you feel as if you shouldn't be the one to make amends, it is the right thing to do. God forgives everyone, and though it can be really hard sometimes, forgiving people and moving on is taking the high-road, and it will leave a good example for others to do the same. 
  • Challenge #5: Cherish the time you have with friends and family. Have fun and be thankful for the time that you can spend with the ones you love this season
  • Challenge #6: Enjoy the holiday! Have fun! 
God bless you all, and have a great season. I hope it is filled with an abundance of love and peace!

Now if you'll excuse me... I'm going to go make some tea and turn on some Christmas tunes and get into the holiday spirit! 

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I am thankful for you, my friends, family, pets, clothes, my own room and bed, food, music, my car, my education, hot chocolate, fuzzy socks, books, and the Charlie Brown Christmas movie. 

See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment