Monday, June 30, 2014

South Carolina: Day 2

On Saturday, June 28th, my family and I arrived in the beautiful state of South Carolina at the Charleston airport. Technically, we didn't arrive at the house my aunt Nancy had rented until the next day, or, just a few minutes passed midnight. Thankfully, my aunt stayed up waiting for us to show us to our rooms. 

Considering that we were (and, still are) staying at an old plantation, I have to admit I was a little bit...I'll just say... creeped out. (and, I guess I still am) I don't really know what "scared" me, exactly. Maybe it was the fact that there could've been slaves here at one point or another, or that it may be haunted by the previous owners or workers. But, whatever. Anyways, I'm actually really liking this place. The kitchen is so, so, (I would add more "so's" but, you get the idea) cool. It has a gas burning stove, and wooden cupboards that are painted a baby-blue. The upstairs (and guest-house) bathrooms have the old-fashioned bathtubs that have the so-called, "claws" or, "feet" on all corners. Another feature that I love about this place is the dock. The dock goes out onto the back-water from the ocean. It gives off a porch-like atmosphere due to it's covered top. Not to mention, the comfy hammock and rocking chairs are the perfect vessels to be in while looking out at the breath-taking view. (Sunrise and sunset are the favorites). 

We are approximately 30 minutes away from our favorite beach access point: Access 32. Which calls for the most beautiful 30 minute drive someone could ask for! I love the beach, but would it be bad if I said I loved this drive (that I am about to describe) as much as I love laying on the beach? No, and here's why: This morning, I woke up at about 6:30, and was up-and-around at about 7:00. Aunt Nancy is an early bird, so we both took Lucy, Aunt Nancy's dog, and all of our beach gear down to access 32. On our way there, we get to drive down a long road. On both sides of it live gorgeous green shrubs and trees, and just very thick vegetation. Half of the time, the big Spanish Oak trees sort of arch over the road, and the branches from each side touch forming a type of tunnel. The sun was still rising, and it was angled at just the right spot in which beams of sunlight shone through the gaps in the tree's branches/leaves all over the tunnel. The sight honestly blew me away. It was like what people see in the movies or paintings. I've never really seen anything like it.  We eventually get up to a large curved bridge that connects us to the island of Edisto! Once on the bridge, one can see for miles and miles over marsh, ocean, and forest.  Onto another highlight: 

Today and yesterday, Aunt Nancy and I went into this cute little farmer's market that is open daily for only 4 months a year. There you can find the best baked goods around. So far, we've tried the badalia onion pie, coconut pineapple cake, and key lime pie. All of which are fantastic. I can just picture a little grandma at home making all those pies from scratch, with the recipe memorized. I mean... at least I think that's maybe how they get those pies? I don't know when I'll find out. You can also find other delicious foods there like boiled peanuts, (which I got to try for the first time ever yesterday!) cookies the size of my face, miniature pecan pies, apple pockets, casseroles, fresh-picked berries and vegetables, and homemade jams. 

Speaking of food, a great seafood restaurant (one of the top 25 seafood dives in the country) called Whaley's, is to die for. The only problem is, their kitchen is closed between the hours of 2:30 and 5:30, so, we didn't get the Whaley's crab cake sandwich today, but are determined to order it, eat it, and love it, tomorrow BEFORE 2:30. 

Now, I should be getting to bed, but I have to write about one last thing: 

Last night, and tonight, most of us have gone down to the dock to watch the sunset. While watching the sun creep down to the horizon, we also keep an eye-out for wild dolphins. We saw one yesterday, as it kept coming up for air, but today was a little bit different. 

When the dolphins are coming, you can tell because they make lots of ripples/waves in the water with their tale movement. Tonight, however, something just sort of "floated" to the top of the water. It had a triangular fin, and it just sort of went back down, and came back up, in the same area. The dolphins usually move fast and don't exactly stick around like this mysterious creature did. Two fins eventually popped up so we knew there had to be not one, but TWO mysterious creatures. The silently, and, creepily, swam away slowly. I have yet to know what it was, but when I get a better sense of it, I'll inform you. We think it was either a porpoise or... A SHARK.

No comments:

Post a Comment