Sunday, August 24, 2014

XC Season

Hello!

It's been a while since I last posted! For a very brief update: The registration went great! I went to Lagoon with my friend, Olivia. Then we went to Harstine with Aunt Mary and Uncle Ron. Now, school has started and cross country season has officially begun!!

This weekend, my cross country team and I went to McCall, Idaho for a XC camp from friday evening through sunday afternoon. We stayed at a camp called Pilgrim Cove, which consists of a lodge where we have our meals, a sort of meeting room outdoors that has a stage (this is where we had all of our seminars, skits, and speeches.) and a bunch of cabins that are heated (thank goodness!) and have showers with heated water! (yay)

The goal of this camp is for the team to bond together and to have a fun kick start to the season.
Here's how it all went down:

When we first arrived at the camp, we took all of our things to our cabins. We're separated by class and gender, and thankfully, all of us sophomore girls fit into one cabin! We had a huge stash of junk food; to name a few: chocolate covered pretzels, cinnamon cookies, cheeze-its, gold fish, trail mix, reese's cups, chips, wheat thins, pretzels, swedish fish, and sour patch kids... oh yes.  Our cabin was fun, because we all get along and we brought speakers so we basically blasted music the whole time. The freshmen girls' cabin was conjoined with ours, like on of those hotel rooms that you can either choose to open the door that connects them, or not. Well, the freshmen kept wanting to come party with us... I guess you could say we're pretty cool sophomores. Wink wink.

The one thing that many people were nervous for, though, was the time trial on saturday morning. This time trial determines who is on varsity for the first race by whoever gets the top 7 spots for each gender. This is where I get to claim my bragging rights: my class is amazing. Compared to last year, we each moved up in placement about 5-10 spots each. I even amazed myself and was hauling the whole race, and eventually ended up coming in 5th place. To my disbelief, I actually made varsity for the first race. I'm really proud of myself. I have never won anything like this before (except for track, but this situation was different for me.) I know that the varsity will be constantly moving around because it is all based off of time.

Anyways, the rest of the camp was great, too. We have a skit contest between each class and gender. Every group has to make a skit (it can be any topic that the group chooses, but almost all of the time it is  something that makes fun of people on the XC team). Although our skit wasn't the greatest, I will admit that the freshmen guys killed it. They had some serious guts because they made fun of the seniors who are running for team captan. It was hilarious and I wish you all could have seen it!

I loved getting to bond with my teammates more, and although I still have a long way to go, I'm grateful for this opportunity each year because it really bonds everyone more than before.

By the lake before leaving camp.

Team mass!

Another lake picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment